2000 Chambishi miners fired over wage strikes

AT least 2, 000 striking workers at Non Ferrous Company-Africa Mining (NFCA) and JCHX Mine Construction Zambia Limited have been summarily dismissed for refusal to resume work when a dispute has not been declared.

NFCA corporate affairs manager Nelson Jilowa confirmed in an interview yesterday in Kitwe that 1, 000 workers from each company were dismissed on Wednesday.

Mr Jilowa said the company had offered the workers a K200, 000 salary increment across the board, pending negotiations that would start tomorrow. “It is however management’s desire that the workers report for work within 48 hours,” Mr Jilowa said.

Workers at NFCA and JCHX Construction Zambia Limited, a constructing company for NFCA, have been protesting for two weeks asking for a K2 million salary increment across the board, among other demands in the conditions of service.

And according to memoranda obtained by the Times, issued by NFCA Chief executive officer Wang Chunlai and JCHX Construction Zambia Limited chief executive officer Zhang Jun, the workers that refused to obey the directive to report for work, had been summarily dismissed.

“Following the memorandum issued yesterday (Tuesday) on October 18, 2011, asking you to report for work today (wednesday) and your subsequent refusal to obey, you are now summarily dismissed with immediate effect,” read part of the memoranda.

The two notices read that the workers however had the right to appeal within 48 hours and that the leave days accrued would be paid by November month end. NUMAW general secretary Goodwell Kaluba said he had not received information related to the dismissal of the workers.

National Union of Miners and Allied Workers president Mundia Sikufele had said earlier this week that negotiations with big mining companies would start any time.

TIMES OF ZAMBIA

Share this post