The Barotseland Freedom movement chairperson, Nyambe Namushi, has said that the families of the victims of the recent spate of arrests in Barotseland have not yet been told why the Zambian government arrested them, and that so far No charge slapped on them.
“It is now two weeks and we don’t know where these people have been taken. No communication has been made to their families and they do not know the whereabouts of their relatives.” Revealed Mr. Namushi.
Namushi has further said that the families for the victims will now have to apply for habeas corpus by Monday if there would be no official communication from Zambian government.
And western province commanding officer Fanwell Siandenge (in the photo) confirmed the arrests, and saying some of the people were under their custody.
Siandenge said it was true that the people under custody were from Lukulu and Mongu and explained that they were arrested because they were helping police with investigations on sensitive issues.
He said the arrests bordered on national security and would only be released after the investigations were concluded.