Change of plan: Sata to attend mass burial and funerals

Change of plan: Sata to attend mass burial and funerals

sata againAfter receiving resounding condemnation for attempts by President Michael Sata to stay at State House when the nation will be mourning the Chibombo accident victims, government has decided that the president will attend.

Copperbelt minister Mwenya Musenge said 36 bodies of the Zampost Bus accident will be buried in Ndola on Monday at a mass burial while five bodies will be buried in Lusaka; one in Mansa, one in Nakonde and three bodies in Kabwe at Mitengo cemetery.

Mr. Sata who has so far come under pressure for his failure to visit the accident scene had initially assigned his wife Dr. Christine Kaseba to represent him at the funeral.

Sources told the Watchdog that Mr. Sata changed his mind after relatives forced him to attend the funeral because a close relative was also a victim.

Sata’s relative, Margaret Chilufya also died in the Postal Services bus road accident that killed more than 50 people in Chibombo.

Mr. Musenge later went back on ZNBC 19 hours on Sunday to announce that Sata will attend. But he did not say whether his boss will attend the burial in Ndola, Kabwe or Lusaka. Most people would like the president to attend the funeral in Ndola where majority of the affected families live.

It is not clear whether president Sata will also visit the bereaved families in Lusaka and Kabwe.

Sata has been avoiding public appearances and has only been communicating to the nation through his ‘voicemail’ George Chellar who he sent to declared a three days of national mourning for the over 50 people that died on Thursday morning.

Share this post
Skip to toolbar