I am under oath, can’t divulge how we use money – former ZAF chief

FORMER Zambia Air Force (ZAF) commander Andrew Sakala yesterday submitted to the court that he is under oath and cannot disclose any classified information relating to the use of the K1.5 million given to service chiefs for security operations in 2011.
This is in a case in which Sakala, 60, is jointly charged with former Zambia National Service (ZNS) commandant Anthony Yeta, also 60 and Zambia Army’s Wisdom Lopa, 59 for corruption involving K1.5 million meant for security wings’ operations during the last general elections.
The three appeared before principal resident magistrate Wilfred Muma.
Sakala said he could only do so after obtaining permission from the Republican President and not any other official including the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
He said the Law placed restrictions on disclosure of classified information and the DPP’s decision to prosecute the matter did not mean that the requirements of Cap 9 and 5 were to be dispensed with.
“It is my position that I am protected against disclosure by the Law and pray that  I be entitled not to disclose anything classified in this matter,” he said.
But the State objected to Sakala’s submissions, saying the accused had other rights available to defend himself, as contained in the constitution and that in this particular instance, he had already started to defend himself.
State prosecutor Zacharia Phiri said Government property needed to be accounted for and it was for the State in whose interest he was suggesting to protect.
The matter was adjourned to November 11, this year for ruling.

Share this post
Skip to toolbar