The Patriotic Front (PF) has failed to infiltrate MISA Zambia after independent journalists rejected ruling party sponsored candidates Mutemwa Makomani and John Chola.
Instead, MISA members retained chairperson Nalumino whom they give a massive mandate with 68 votes against Makomani who managed only nine (9) votes.
John Chola who was sponsored by the PF to run for the position of vice-chairperson only got 12 votes. He was beaten by Hellen Mwale a reporter for the Daily nation.
It seems the journalists took the Watchdog advise seriously as they voted for all the candidates we recommended and rejected those we said pose threats to the independence of the media.
Journalists who were elected to the positions of Committee member are Roy Clarke, Wilson Pondamali and Elizabeth Mweene Chanda
Below is the complete list of candidates and what Watchdog said ahead of the AGM:
1. CHAIRMAN’S POSITION
– Nalumino Nalumino – Current Chairperson, Station Manager Radio Maranatha (We are satisfied with his performance)
– Mumbuna Muyumbana – Station Manager, Kasempa Radio (He is not a bad candidate)
– Mutemwa Makomani – Lecturer Communication Skills Business department, Evelyn Hone College. (Apart from being sponsored by the PF and therefore a danger to media independence, his personality sucks)
2. VICE CHAIRPERSON
– Jacqueline Kabeta – Communications Advisor, ZHECT (Good candidate but need to give chance to fresh blood)
– John Chola – Member of Current Board, Broadacaster and Media Consultant. (agh please)
– Hellen Mwale – Reporter, Daily Nation ( we don’t know her but we think women should be supported)
– Daniel Maimbo – Advisor, National Authorising Office of EU Funds. Ministry of Finance. ( We have always wondered what this guy wants from MISA. Hope he is not OP. )
3. COMMITTEE MEMBERS
– Elizabeth Mweene Chanda – Current Committee member, lecturer Mass Communication, UNZA (She should have stood as chairperson)
– George Nelson Zulu – Reporter, Daily Nation Newspapers. (He is not trustworthy. We know him better)