Kabimba, GBM supporters fight, break Northmead school property

PATRIOTIC Front (PF) cadres yesterday clashed after one group attacked another camp that was supposed to hold a meeting at Northmead Secondary School where a fierce fight erupted.
The group in support of the endorsement of President Michael Sata as the sole candidate for the 2016 presidential elections went on rampage beating the other which was supposed to hold a meeting to be chaired by PF Lusaka District chairperson Goodson Banda.
Trouble started when the pro-endorsement group heard that the district officials were supposed to hold a meeting at which they were to discipline some constituency officials.
As a result of the fracas, window panes and gates at Northmead Secondary School were damaged.
The group first replaced padlocks at the district office before marching to The Post newspaper offices on Bwinjimfumu Road and thereafter headed to State House denouncing some senior leaders who they wanted to be disciplined.
About five PF members were seriously injured and rushed to the University Teaching Hospital (UTH), while others were taken to Chipata Clinic and one other to Mum’s Clinic.
At State House alert police officers blocked the cadres from getting closer as they demanded that leaders should provide guidance over the perceived internal wrangles in the ruling party.
According to eye-witnesses, the cadres were protesting against Secretary General Wynter Kabimba’s alleged failure to provide leadership over the ongoing disputes over the endorsement of Mr Sata as the party’s sole presidential candidate in the 2016 elections.
The cadres, led by PF provincial publicity secretary Ackson Nkhoma, were also demanding that provincial chairperson Geoffrey Chumbwe steps down.
The cadres, who had hired about 10 buses and private vehicles, then proceeded to Lusaka Deputy Mayor Mulenga Sata’s residence in Kabulonga after State House security officers foiled their attempt to see the Head of State.
Journalists were barred from covering the meeting with the Lusaka deputy mayor as it was deemed private.
A check at State House by the Sunday Times in the afternoon indicated the presence of armed paramilitary officers who had sealed off either side of President’s Lane as well as the junction at Ng’umbo Road.
Defence Minister Geoffrey Mwamba, who is one of those advocating for President Sata’s candidature, described the incident as unfortunate and appealed to all members of the party to co-exist even when they differed in opinion.
Mr Mwamba said infighting in the party was not healthy, as all PF supporters were members of one family.
He said it was sad that some officials within the party were sponsoring people to fight others.
And Mr Banda said the incident had been reported to the Police and that it was up to them (Police) to carry out investigations.
He said infighting should not be entertained in the party at the expense of development.

Share this post