The Out Patients Department (OPD) section at the Kabwe general hospital was last night gutted leaving most patients files and other equipment destroyed, but the fire brigade’s intervention helped to stop the fire from spreading to other sections.
The fire started around 23:00hrs, some patients and workers struggled to quench it using ordinary water from buckets but in vain because there weren’t any fire extinguishers until when the fire fighters came after about 30 minutes. The cause is suspected to have been an electricity spark within the building.
Three years ago, Kabwe mine hospital laundry was completely gutted, destroying linen and all equipment. The laundry has not yet been reconstructed after the whole building was razed down.