Kambwili claims closure of Baluba mine is null and void

Chief Government Spokesperson Chishimba Kambwili says the decision by China Non-Ferrous Metal Company’s Luanshya Copper Mines (CLM) to place   Baluba Mine in Luanshya on care and maintenance is null and void.

According to the PF controlled ZNBC main news, Kambwili, who is also Information Minister, claims the decision by the mine is outside the law.

He says as far as government is concerned, the mine is in full operation.

Kambwili told a media briefing in Luanshya on Monday that all workers who have been written to by the mine should report for work.

He said government and the Chinese owned mine held meetings last week and at no time did the mine raise the issue of placing the Luanshya based mine on care and maintenance.

Kambwili was reacting to a statement by CLM that the Baluba Mine in Luanshya has been placed on care and maintenance.

The closure of Baluba mine was announced Monday in a statement signed by the Managing Director Luo Xin Geng who explained that the closure has been necessitated by the 30 percent reduction in electricity supply to the mine by Copperbelt Energy Corporation (CEC).

A total of 1,640 workers have been sent home.

 

 

Share this post
Skip to toolbar