Once again Fred Namakando’s Post newspaper which has now gone on slandering people has been asked to apologise to Youth and Sport Minister, Chishimba Kambwili for defaming him over an article the tabloid carried on Tuesday, April 8, 2014.
In his demand letter, Kambwili who is the only minister who refuted ailing dictator Michael Sata’s remark that his ministers and MPS were useless said the words attributed to him by The Post were not uttered by him and that at no time did he speak to any Cabinet minister as reported in the article.
According to the story in Namakando’s paper, Kambwili said he does not mind being fired by Sata as he has already made his money. The remark was aimed at setting Sata to be annoyed and fire Kambwili to advance Namakando’s scheme of leaving useless Justice minister Wynter Kabimba as only possible successor to the PF presidency in 2016 or even before.
Sources from the Post newspaper have told the Zambian Watchdog that the letter signed by Kambwili’s lawyers Caristo Mukonka Legal Practitioners has been served on the Post. Kambwili demands that the story be retracted within 24 hrs of receipt and with the same prominence it was published failure to which legal action will be commenced.
“Yes we have been asked to retract that story about Hon. Kambwili as we have received the letter from his lawyers Caristo Mukonka Legal Practitioners dated April 9th and I think we have no option but just to retract but time is running out. We should have done that by Friday last week,” said a well placed source.
Former defence minister Geoffrey Bwalya Mwamba popularly known as GBM among others is also demanding over K1,000,000 from the company for libelous publication.
The Anti Corruption Commission (ACC) has since instituted investigations against Kambwili for allegedly instructing staff at his ministry to issue congratulatory messages in the state owned Times of Zambia and Zambia Daily Mail newspapers.