In my 2015 article entitled “To Pray or Not to Pray” I made biblical reference to times when God’s people the nation of Israel held national prayers and the effectual results thereafter citing them as a good basis for our country to hold such. Four years of holding them and I change my views completely and see this politically initiated assembly as useless, a joke and a mockery to the Lord and the people of Zambia, and here is why..
The first reasons for calling for prayers on this day was to pray for natural challenges the country was facing one of which was a drought threat. The second being unity of the country that had been and still is separated by tribal and political tension as seen by the escalating cases of violence. The third was for reconciliation of political parties and their leaders.
Between 2015 and now, 2019 these prayers have achieved nothing not because they are ineffective but because the people that initiated them are hypocrites; being evil and neglectful of the people they govern all year only to call them for convenience to fool them by religious activities for a single day. There seems to be no personal effort to fix the issues people are called to pray for with all the fixing left to divine intervention – God doesn’t work that way.
1. God says, “To man belongs the plans of the heart, the reply comes from the Lord” – Proverbs 16:1, so man has to do his part and plan.
2. He also says that “he that turns his ears from hearing the law even his prayer is an abomination” – Proverbs 28:9. Firstly those offering prayers should be in obedience to the law of God.
It’s clear that the Patriotic Front with President Edgar Chagwa Lungu have abrogated both condition one and two on by not planning well to curtail foreign debt, cushion expenditure by lessening presidential trips and government purchases, and haven’t heard and obeyed the law of God as seen by their open atrocities.
– FIC Report has names of corrupt members of government but not has been arrested.
– Inflated Purchases of Ambulances & Fire Trucks.
– Self Allocation of Land in Forest Reserve 27.
– Illegal Sale of Wild Animals.
– Illegal Sale of Mukula Trees.
– Practicing Open Tribalism.
– Promoting Political Violence.
– The Murdering of Political Opponents. the case of Lawrence cited.
– The Continual Arrests and Harassment of Political Opponents.
– The Refusal to Pay back money obtained during their illegal stay in office prior to the 2016 Elections.
– The failed disclosure of the owners of the 48 corruply built houses, Etc.
The list can go on and on….
It is very clear that President Lungu and his government have more public confessing and sin forsaking to do before God accepts their convocation and hears their prayers. And like I stated, it is useless, a joke and a mockery to even hold them.
Mbanga, Irvine Ilukui.
United States of America.