PF regime reverses ban to close taverns on day of prayers

The PF government has reversed its earlier decree for bars and taverns to close on President Edgar Lungu’s day of prayer and fasting set for Sunday 18th October.

And Vice President Inonge Wina has told parliament that the government will reflect on pardoning Barotseland activists currently being held in various prisons on the so called day of fasting, prayer and reconciliation.

Vice President Inonge Wina told parliament Friday morning that there was no imposition that bars and taverns should close on the day declared for national prayers, fasting and reconciliation.

Wina claimed that government has instead requested that bar and tavern owners should respect the declaration by observing the sombre day by closing their outlets and join in the prayers.

She was responding to a question from Kasempa MP Kabinga Pande who wanted to know why Government has made it mandatory for bars and taverns to close on Sunday October 18th.
The government last week announced through a statement by Secretary to the Cabinet Dr Msiska on ZNBC TV that all bars and taverns should close on 18th October 2015 to allow people attend prayers.

And Vice President Inonge Wina has told parliament that the government will reflect on pardoning Barotseland activists currently being held in various prisons on the so called day of fasting, prayer and reconciliation.

She was responding to a question posed by Lukulu East Member of Parliament Christopher Kalila on whether government was going to release Barotseland activists on the day of reconciliation.

Vice President Wina claimed that the government has not failed to address the Barotseland impasse because consultations were ongoing with the Barotse Royal Establishment (BRE).

Some major stakeholders have however indicated that they are not aware of any consultations over the Barotseland issue with the Zambian government.

Eight Barotseland activists are currently in detention in Kabwe, Kaoma, Mongu and Senenga while a further six were recently released on bail and their case has been transferred from Mongu to Kaoma on ‘security’ grounds.

Share this post