President Rupiah Banda says he has not yet seen George Mpombo’s resignation letter.
President Banda was quoted by the government controlled media saying that he would issue a comprehensive response after seeing the later.
President Banda was speaking in Livingstone Wednesday.
But Deputy minister in the vice-president’s office Gustone Sichilima has welcomed the resignation of the defense minister.
He said Mr. Mpombo should have declined the appointment last year instead of resigning now.
He said all those wishing to leave the MMD can emulate Mr. Mpombo.
Meanwhile, Southern Africa Centre for Constructive Resolution of Dispute (SACCORD) has urged former Minister of Defence George Mpombo to exhaustively articulate the reasons behind his resignation.
SACCORD Information Officer Michelo Mwango says the former Minister has so far not comprehensively explained the grounds for his resignation.
Mrs. Mwango said it is important for people holding high positions to cite reasons for their actions as certain moves leave many questions unanswered.
Meanwhile, a retired judge says the resignation by Mr. Mpombo as Minister of Defence has been long over due.
Judge Noah Kabamba said the former Minister has taken the right step by resigning as corruption has allegedly remained rampant in the ministry of defence.
Mr. Mpombo yesterday announced his resignation at Chabanga Lodge in the Itawa area of Ndola.
He said he had resigned as defense minister and MMD National Executive Committee member responsible for energy development.
Mr. Mpombo said he had written to the president to accept his resignation on personal grounds.
He said he would remain a member of parliament for Kafulafuta Constituency until 2011 beyond which he was not too willing to continue in order to give young people a chance to take up leadership.
Mr. Mpombo said he would concentrate his energies on constituency projects and issues to do with the environment because there was too much deforestation in his constituency.