Simuwela had no disease, died of injuries – independent autopsy

An independent post-mortem conducted on the body of slain Moses Simuwela by pathologist Professor Neil Nkanza has concluded that he had no obvious disease process of internal organs at the time of death.

This brings into question the earlier post-mortem results which indicated that Simuwela had died of natural causes.

Instead, Prof Nkanza in a summary of his findings has noted Simuwela had suffered bruises on the left ribs and thoracic muscles which may be consistent with trauma he suffered before death.

A full report is expected to come out on Thursday
Prof Nkanza could not determine the cause of death due to the advanced state of decomposition of the body of late Simuwela.
The Prof Nkanza post-mortem report concluding that late Simuwela did not suffer from any disease process of internal organs prior to his death has effectively put into question the results of the post-mortem conducted by the police which suggested that the PF cardrr had died of natural causes.

Bruised ribs are usually the result of a direct blow or trauma to the chest, leading to intense pain and shallow breathing.

Prof Nkanza further observed in his post-mortem report that there were abrasions on the left knee and right foot of the deceased.

The post-mortem report obtained by the Daily Nation yesterday indicated that although the cause of death could not be determined due to advanced state of decomposition of the body, there was no evidence of atherosclerosis of the arteries at the time Simuwela was dying.

Simuwela died two weeks ago after the pro-Wynter Kabimba faction clashed with the Julius Komaki group that has been calling for the expulsion of the Justice Minister from the ruling party for allegedly creating parallel structures within the party with the hope of taking over the presidency of the ruling party by 2016.

The body of Simuwela that was initially at Levy Mwanawasa Hospital was secretly moved to the University Teaching Hospital where the police conducted the post-mortem whose results were rejected by the family members who later demanded for an independent pathologist to carry out the post-mortem.

Simuwela’s body was in some unclear circumstances taken from the relatives of the late Simuwela and whisked to Leopards Hill cemetery where it was hurriedly buried.

Share this post