Thirteen Rwandans who lost everything in Zambian xenophobia to be flown home

Thirteen Rwandans who lost everything in Zambian xenophobia to be flown home

Thirteen Rwandans living in Zambia will be flown back home today (Sunday) after losing property and lifetime savings during xenophobic attacks last week in Zambian capital Lusaka.

The situation has calmed down with some security deployments in densely populated suburbs that were targeted by xenophobic rioting last week, Abel Buhungu, the Charge d’Affaires at the High Commission of Rwanda in Zambia, told The New Times of Rwanda.

He added: “Meanwhile the High Commission has, in liaison with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Rwanda, finalized repatriation arrangements for thirteen Rwandans among those that had sought refuge at the High Commission.

“These are among those that lost property and lifetime savings during the riots and were thus left with nothing in Zambia to fall back on.”

The 13 are scheduled to leave Lusaka aboard Rwandair on, Sunday at 1600hrs, he said.

On Thursday evening, Buhungu released a statement clarifying that the attacks and looting were sparked by rumours that a Rwandan national was among the suspected individuals that had had a hand in the reported ritual killings.

As of Thursday night, the Rwanda High Commission premises were home to 50 Rwandans who sought refuge there.

Ever since the attacks and looting started on Monday, more than 60 shops had been looted and as a result, a number of Rwandan nationals sought refuge at Police Stations, as well as at the Rwandan High Commission.

Share this post
Skip to toolbar