Senior leaders in the PF coordinating the party militia wing have hired thugs to disrupt the forthcoming MISA Zambia annual general meeting scheduled to take place on Friday at Palmwood lodge in Lusaka if their sponsored candidates are rejected.
Sources from Matero constituency disclosed that the PF are scheming to impose Mutemwa Makomani and John Chola as Chairman and vice chairman so that they can cripple the only autonomous media body in the country.
The source disclosed that Makomani , Chola and their chosen committee members have been given money which they are dishing out to journalists who will attend the AGM but just in case they are not voted in thugs will come in and beat the scribes.
“You know now there is donchi kubeba, so people can chew the money and vote otherwise and that is why the ‘combat’ team has been put in place. We are also told that Makomani has been stingy with the money and is not sharing with friends so there is disunity in their camp,” said the impeccable source who sought anonymity for fear of victimization.
Early this year the same thugs suspected to be sponsored by Matero MP Miles Sampa beat up worshipers in BIGOCA church in Matero and later Sampa ‘donated’ money to the church and ‘regretted’ the incidence.
And information from MISA indicate that three candidates have successfully filed nominations for the chairmanship while four are eyeing the vice chairmanship while six journalists are vying for the three committee membership positions.
THE WATCHDOG IS URGING MISA MEMBERS TO REJECT THE PF TEAM AND RETAIN CURRENT CHAIRMAN NALUMINO OR IN THE ALTERNATIVE VOTE FOR MUYUMBANA. WE KNOW THERE IS A LOT OF MONEY BEING GIVEN BUT PLEASE THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE OF MISA BEFORE YOUR BELLIES.
Below is the complete list of candidates and Watchdog thoughts:
1. CHAIRMAN’S POSITION
– Nalumino Nalumino – Current Chairperson, Station Manager Radio Maranatha (We are satisfied with his performance)
– Mumbuna Muyumbana – Station Manager, Kasempa Radio (He is not a bad candidate)
– Mutemwa Makomani – Lecturer Communication Skills Business department, Evelyn Hone College. (Apart from being sponsored by the PF and therefore a danger to media independence, his personality sucks)
2. VICE CHAIRPERSON
– Jacqueline Kabeta – Communications Advisor, ZHECT (Good candidate but need to give chance to fresh blood)
– John Chola – Member of Current Board, Broadacaster and Media Consultant. (agh please)
– Hellen Mwale – Reporter, Daily Nation ( we don’t know her but we think women should be supported)
– Daniel Maimbo – Advisor, National Authorising Office of EU Funds. Ministry of Finance. ( We have always wondered what this guy wants from MISA. Hope he is not OP. )
3. COMMITTEE MEMBERS
– Elizabeth Mweene Chanda – Current Committee member, lecturer Mass Communication, UNZA ( She should have stood as chairperson)
– George Nelson Zulu – Reporter, Daily Nation Newspapers. (He is not trustworthy. We know him better)
– Wallen Simwaka – Reporter, Daily Nation Newspaper (The Watchdog would vote for him)
– Michael Amos Malakata – Reporter, IDG (USA) (He is a divisive element who likes gossiping and therefore unfit for leadership)
– Wilson Pondamali – Freelance Journalist (No comment)
– Roy Clarke- Senior partner and Chief Editor: Flip Project. ( He is ok)