Two juvenile girls of Lusaka’s Mtendere township yesterday admitted indecently assaulting a two-year-old boy of the same area, according to the Daily Mail.
The girls, aged 12 and 11 years, respectively, initially denied the charge but yesterday changed their plea before resident magistrate MwakaMikalile.
The juveniles are charged with indecent assault.
Facts before the court are that on March 11, 2011, in Lusaka, jointly and whilst acting together, the girls unlawfully and indecently assaulted a two-year-seven-month-old boy.
When the matter came up for trial, the offenders’ lawyer told the court that his clients wanted to change the earlier plea and take a fresh one.
After the charge was read to them again, the girls told the court that they understood it and admitted committing the offence.
One of them said she touched the boy’s private parts after seeing her friend doing the same to the victim.
The other girl said she and her friend got the boy from his mother’s house in Mtendere, undressed him and ordered him to sleep on the floor and indecently assaulted the boy.
The court heard that the girls picked the boy from his mother’s house to ostensibly play with him, but indecently assaulted him.
The prosecution narrated that after an hour, the boy went back home crying whilst touching his private parts and later informed his mother that the girls who had earlier taken him to play with them had indecently assaulted him.
The court heard that when the mother checked the boy’s private parts, she found that he was bleeding.
In mitigation, the girls’ lawyer urged the court to consider an order for counselling and probation because they are first offenders and school-children who have a chance to become responsible children.
The case comes up on May 19 for the Department of Social Welfare to present a report on the girls to help the court come up with an appropriate order.