Global Fund audit exposes blatant theft of medicine, neglect with drugs allowed to expire
• ARVs were out of stock for almost a month in 10% of health facilities visited.
• 77% of the facilities visited had expired HIV drugs
• 40% facilities had expired malaria drugs
• 27% had expired TB drugs
• ARVs expired drugs were valued at $4mil in 2016
• TB expired drugs valued at $0.27mil in 2016 with $0.11mil at risk in 2017
• Discrepancies amounting to $0.54mil observed in 30 facilities between stores and dispensing pharmacies
• Discrepancies in MSL stock in 54% of commodities stock count.
• 1% of the annual ARV packs were unaccounted for in MSL inventory system and stock count