DEFENCE Minister Geoffrey Mwamba has ordered the Inspector-General of Police, Stella Libongani, to thoroughly investige allegations by United Party for National Development (UPND) leader Hakainde Hichilema that Government is planning to send youths to Sudan for military training.
The government controlled Times of Zambia reports that minister Mwamba ordered Libongani to urgently find out from Mr Hichilema where he obtained the information.
Mr Mwamba said this was meant to ensure that correct and accurate information was given to the public.
Mr Mwamba said at a media briefing in Lusaka yesterday that Zambia was not at war adding that Mr Hichilema’s utterances were acts of desperation.
The minister said that the allegations were serious and if not handled properly could sour good relations that Zambia was currently enjoying with the Sudanese government.
“The last time we sent troops to Sudan was on July 21 last year, so far only 17 are remaining, I don’t think Hakainde is right to utter such sensitive statements, that is why I want the IG to investigate and give us a full report. The public needs to know the truth,” he said.
The Defence minister has since advised Mr Hichilema to conduct proper research before issuing any statements to members of the public.
Mr Hichilema made the allegations during a media briefing at the party secretariat in Lusaka yesterday.